Back when I was doing rotations at the VA in SD, I made these chocolate brownie balls to suck up to my preceptor. It didn’t seem to make much of a difference in how mean she was to me, however I passed the rotation, and the dessert balls were a hit with everyone! It’s been a few years now and my sister just recently mentioned how she found a picture of these cute little chocolate covered cake balls. It reminded me of the old days and I decided to take a trip down down memory lane. Here are the new and improved cake balls make with love, instead of ulterior motives 🙂 The best thing about these is that you can use whatever flavors you choose…the options are limitless!
1. Red velvet cake mix (you can make it from scratch if you’ve got the time)
2. 1/2 can of cream cheese frosting (or whatever type of frosting that goes with the cake flavor you choose)
3. Chocolate bark to melt
4. Parchment paper
1. Bake cake according to directions on box. Let cool.
2. Crumble cake and mix with frosting
3. Roll into bite-size balls and store in freezer for 30min to 1hr (this is important to prevent cake flakes from crumbling into the melted chocolate)
4. Melt chocolate according to directions on bag
5. Quickly spoon the cake balls into the chocolate and place on parchment paper to cool
6. Design as desired
I used red velvet cake today and mixed it with cream cheese frosting. For the chocolate covering I made a variety of white chocolate, mint chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate. Lastly, I added food coloring to the white chocolate to decorate them. Cute, huh?